Friday, July 23, 2010

Snail Mail


I was reminded today about how excited I used to get when I had mail in my mailbox in college back in the day. LOL…yeah back in the day when there was no email and definitely no texting. Heck, no cell phones barely existed yet! My dad had a mobile phone in a huge black bag he let me carry sometimes when I’d drive 3 hours back to college to Greenville, NC. I never used it! Never felt I needed to. Today I freak out if I leave my cell phone at the house just to run and get gas up the road. I’m afraid I’ll miss something…good grief!

But as a freshman in college, the highlights of the week was of course Thursday nights and the weekend, but it was always checking my mailbox every day in hopes of having a letter waiting for me. Even if it was just from my parents that was still good, but if it was from a friend that was at school elsewhere or from a friend in the military that was way cooler! Just picking up the phone back then (btw-this was 89’-94’) was not feasible. It was so expensive to chat long distance to friends so writing hand written letters was the next best thing. And I can’t leave out the wonderful care packages. They were the best treat! I didn’t get but maybe one or two the whole time in college but still, that was the ultimate surprise! And yes there always seemed to be that one girl on every hall that received a care package at least once a week from either her mom or boyfriend filled with food, toiletries, pictures, love letters, money!! I bet she is still spoiled rotten! LOL

Today I go to my mailbox and all I see is bills, bills, and more bills….Oh and let’s not forget countless flyers and junk mail that should have been band years ago! Of course I still get birthday cards in my mailbox but not as many as I used to, just from close family. All my other relatives and friends either send me an e-card or text me now for my birthday. That’s still ok, and I really appreciate them thinking of me, but it’s still not the same. I also receive thank you or thinking of you cards in the mail sometimes. Those are the best. It warms my heart to know that someone took the time to sit down, write their thoughts on paper, get a stamp, and walk to their mailbox or post office and mail a card to me. Taking this time for someone else, even if it is just for 5-10 minutes really does make an impression on you, great or small.

Today we live in a world that’s all about ‘instant gratification’. Everything is convenient, accessible, and easy. It has its good and bad points. I’ve been able to reconnect with many high school and college friends that I’ve lost contact with for so many years via the internet. That’s a good thing. Now we can keep in touch daily if we want without ever actually having to speak to one other through instant messages, texts, emails, voicemails, checking out each other’s status on Facebook, MySpace, Blogspot, or following their every move on Twitter (which I refuse to do btw!). And if we do feel like talking, most everyone has cell phones with free long distance! How cool is that! I would have loved free long distance in college. I used to have some really ugly phone bills!!

But with all the portals we can use to ‘connect’ with one another, one is slowly fading away…hand written letters. I’ve heard that someday soon we may not even have the US Postal Service anymore. That makes me sad. There are still so many people that need this service even though it is the slower alternative. If this does in fact happen, then mailing hand written letters will become obsolete. I think I am going to go write some letters this weekend. Maybe it will be more of a blessing for me than whomever I decide to write to. Maybe if anyone reads this blog, you’ll feel inspired to write one too. Don’t forget the stamps!

No comments: